Wednesday 12 November 2008

Svankmajer's Alice

Moved here: http://aliceintheinternet.wordpress.com/



I think it was watching Svankmajer's Alice (in my twenties) with my father that made me so fascinated by the stories: more so even than reading the books as a child. The film was made in 1988 by the Czech surrealist animator, and captures all the weird otherness of the books. It's certainly rather a spooky, dark Alice, but I think it's the strangeness at the heart of the books that has made them last so well: people become bored with bland, but Alice always has something lurkng just out of sight...

I'd love to say I have a DVD of the film, but so far it only seems to be available for region 1, so until I get a player that will, errr.. play it, I'll have to make do with youtube and Jabberwocky, which I do have.

If you're interested in the region 1 discs, check here: Region 1 Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment